Trigger Warning!
This world is a fucked-up, traumatizing, and hateful place. I live in this world, and so my words, experiences, and thoughts are birthed from within it. Further, it should come to no surprise that this blog will detail many of these fucked-up things in graphic detail. Fortunately, resilience is what I do, and I try my hardest to ferment inspiration from the darkest parts of my life. It's time to confront, it's time to resist, and of course... it's time to win.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Death Squads Normalized

Death squads have stopped being called death squads. I don't understand this. It use to be that if military groups went on campaigns for corporate interest, we saw them for the atrocious scumbags they were, but now we see them as something much more friendlier. Why has it become normalized for death squads to kill hundreds, kidnap many more from their homes and hospitals, and terrorize whole countries with United States military sponsorship? With words of "wealth," "equality," and "fairness" another massacre has yet again been underwritten by United State's government, multinational corporations, and consumers.

These Mining, Logging, Oil, and Gas projects will not just threaten the Amazon's human population but also the Amazon itself. Words on a blog. Words in a paper. Words written in still drying paint on the side of a bank. How can these words stop this ecocide? Are they even meant to stop it, or just help me sleep better at night? My stomach turns from this overweight blood dense privilege I have in this story, but in the end, I'll still benefit, and I'll still be able to sleep comfortably tonight.

I wanted to be inspiring. I wanted to draw parallels to build an understanding. I wanted to feel that today, the people down their struggling, would actually have benefited from my continuing existence today. But I can't. Not today.

We are losing. Anyone who reads this knows this. I guess all I can ask is to feel it.

No comments: